In accordance with the provisions of Act 12 of 2003, the Institute was brought under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) in the year 2003. The first Council was inaugurated on the 27th of May, 2004 by the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology, Professor Turner T. Isoun. The 4th and Immediate past Council was inaugurated in August 2018, by the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu. The Governing Council consists of:
- the President of the Institute, as Chairman.
- the Vice President of the Institute as Vice Chairman.
- a representative of the Federal Ministry of Education (FME).
- a representative of the Federal Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation (FMSTI).
- a representative of the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF).
- one person representing Public Interest.
- twelve members of the Institute are nominated by the Association of Science Laboratory Technologists of Nigeria (ASLTON); with two persons representing each of the six geo-political zones of the Federation in rotation for a term of three years.
- The DG/Registrar/CEO as Secretary.
The 5th Governing Council of the Institute was inaugurated on the 14th October 2021 by the Honourable Minister of State, Federal Minsitry of Science, Technology and Innovation at Abuja. Council Members are:
- Elder Olu-Ajayi Oluranti Michael, FISLT Chairman
- Mr. Gberindyer James Saa-Aondo, FISLT Vice Chairman
- Mr. Chakyin Yusufu Gongwang, FISLT Member
- Mr. Kaigama Kaka Mallam, FISLT Member
- Alhaji Abubakare Adamu, FISLT Member
- Alhaji Yusuff Akeem Adebayo, FISLT Member
- Mr. Ikegwu Alphonsus Ikechukwu, FISLT Member
- Mr. Eze Emmanuel Ikechukwu, FISLT Member
- Barr. Etuk Sunday Edet, FISLT Member
- Dr. Alagoa Comfort Seki, FISLT Member
- Hon. Ishaq Ahmed Kana Member (Rep Public Interest)
- Mr. Kehinde Osinaike Member (Rep FME)
- Alhaji Umar Shaibu A. Member (Rep FMSTI)
- Yemi H. Gbadegesin – DG/Registrar/CEO Secretary to the Council