In accordance with the provisions of Act 12 of 2003, the Institute was brought under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) in the year 2003. The first Council was inaugurated on the 27th of May, 2004 by the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology, Professor Turner T. Isoun. The second Council was inaugurated on the 12th of February, 2008, also by the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology, Mrs. Grace Ekpiwhre, (mni). The Governing Council consists of:
- the President of the Institute, as Chairman.
- the Vice President of the Institute as Vice Chairman.
- a representative of Federal Ministry of Education (FME).
- a representative of Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST).
- a representative of Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF).
- one person representing Public Interest.
- twelve members of the Institute are nominated by the Association of Science Laboratory Technologists of Nigeria (ASLTON); with two persons representing each of the six geo-political zones of the Federation in rotation for a term of three years.
- The DG/Registrar/CEO as Secretary.
A 17-man Council of seasoned registered members of the Institute in diverse fields of Science Laboratory Technology and Representatives of Federal Government serve as the governing body of the Institute. The following distinguished Nigerians constitute the current Council of the Institute:
Mr. Charles A. OBASEKI North Central (Chairman of Council)
Alhaji Hassan ABUBAKAR North West (Vice Chairman of Council)
Mr. James S. GBERINDYER North Central
Alhaji. Abubakar ADAMU North West
Mr. James T. WABA North East
Prince. Gisilambe M. YUNUSA North East
Mr. Sunday E. ETUK South South
Mr. Alphonsu N. IKEGWU South East
Mr. William C. EBADDAN South West
Mr. Michael O. OLU-AJAYI South West
Dr. Ekanem UDOH Federal Ministry of Science and Technology
Mrs. Abiodun ANIBABA Federal Ministry of Finance
Mrs. Grace O. TAKERHI Federal Ministry of Education
Mr. Onyebuchi UGORJI Public Interest
Mr. Yemi H. GBADEGESIN DG/Registrar/CEO (Secretary to Council)