The Institute carries out the following activities as part of its mandate:
- Standardization of Science Laboratories for teaching, research and services.
- Laboratory Personnel Capacity Building.
- Laboratory Administration and Management.
- Laboratory Equipment Management and Maintenance.
- Laboratory Inspection, Accreditation and Certification.
- Laboratory Building and Infrastructure Design.
- Laboratory Chemical and Reagents standardization and certification.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Science Equipment and Procedures.
- Development of Science and Technology Education Teaching Aids.
- Research into the production, standardization and use of laboratory chemicals and reagents
- Maintains contact with Overseas Science Equipment Manufacturers and also maintain a database of such.
- Operate and maintain standard science laboratory practice for secondary school pupils training in Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Consultancies on science laboratory development, equipment procurement, projects and laboratory services
- Laboratory Equipment Design and Fabrication